By David Crane
david (at) defensereview (dot) com
March 16, 2016
Last updated on 3/17/16.
Last year, DefenseReview (DR) was one of the first publications to publish a detailed article on the M+M M10X 7.62x39mm Russian AK-type long-stroke gas piston/op-rod tactical rifle/carbine, after we viewed and handled it at SHOT Show 2015. Well, we recently had the pleasure of checking out the new M+M Industries M10X Elite assault (select-fire/full-auto)/tactical (semi-auto-only) rifle/carbine/SBR (Short Barreled Rifle)/pistol at SHOT Show 2016, and came away impressed with the package.The M10X Elite looks really good, so DR hopes function follows form (under adverse conditions and high round count).
Michael Meier of M+M Industries was kind enough to takes DR through the features of a M+M M10X Elite SBR, just like he did with the earlier, standard model, last year. As you can see in the accompanying photos and video, the gun he showed us sported a Magpul Zhukov-S Stock AK47/AK74 side-folding and telescoping/retractable buttstock and Magpul SSG Selector Set– FN SCAR MK16/16S safety/selector switch, as well as a nice looking M+M muzzle brake/flash hider/suppressor. The gun can be had in various barrel lengths up to 18.5″ (18.15 inches), with carbine length barrels coming in at 14.5″-16″. The gas block/regulator has five settings, and was designed with silencer/sound suppressor use in mind. MSRP for the M10X Elite is currently $1,550-$1,600 USD, as of this writing.
While Defense Review really likes our tactical AR’s (AR-15 carbine/SBR’s), we also like modernized semi-auto-only tactical AK’s in both 7.62x39mm Russian and 5.45x39mm Russian. So, a semi-auto-only M+M M10X Elite tactical carbine/SBR really appeals to us, since it looks like a really nice westernized and modernized AK-type weapon system. It’s another interesting tactical firearm to have in one’s collection, assuming it works as well as it looks (including with a muzzle can). If it does, it should prove to be a pretty great little 7.62x39mm weapons package.
The following M+M M10X Elite features and specs come directly fromt he M+M Industries website:
Action: Semi-automatic rotating bolt long stroke gas piston driven system
Upper Receiver: Single unit integrated made out of fully heat-treated high quality milled billet nitrided carbon steel
Bolt & Carrier Material: Fully heat-treated high quality milled billet nitrided carbon steel
Lower receiver: Made of stainless steel with Black nitride finish
Upper Picatinny Rail Length: 18 inches
Forearm Cover & Finish: Aircraft grade aluminum; Mil Spec Type III black anodized coating; Magpul® M-Lok compatible slots
Barrel Length: 16.5 inches
Barrel Twist: 1/9.25 Rifling
Muzzle Thread: 14/1 Left hand
Barrel Material: 4140 Steel
Barrel Finish: Black nitride
Rifle Weight: 8.5 lbs +/- without magazine
Trigger Pull: 4.2 lbs +/-
Safety: Ambidextrous w/indicator marking on both sides of receiver
Charging Handle: Ambidextrous removable reciprocating handle
Stock: Six position Magpul® CTR™ buttstock w/Phoenix Technology® Kicklite recoil reducing shaft
Pistol Grip: Ergonomic rubber overmolded Hogue grip
Magazine Type: Comes with 5/10/30 round depending on state configuration
High Corrosion Resistant Components: Ninety-five percent of the rifle including bolt, bolt carrier, gas cylinder, lower receiver, trigger, trigger guard, upper receiver, mounting hardware are finished in black nitride.
– Semi automatic rotating bolt long stroke gas piston driven system, a proven design used in the most reliable self-loading firearms in the history.
– Floated barrel is the result of floated joint at gas cylinder and gas block. Relieving tension on the barrel improves accuracy on almost any firearm.
– Three-position adjustable gas valve (including “off” position) facilitates reliable functioning in the harshest environments with a wide array of ammunition, or allows the rifle to be manually cycled.
– Recoil spring has been eliminated and its function integrated into piston return spring.
– Castling feature allows for stronger rigidity and weight reduction in the rifle assembly.
– Plunger-style ejector assures even ejection pattern regardless of the load of rounds used.
– Reduced-mass piston reduces weight
– Single unit integrated upper receiver eliminates guide rail rivets, and allows for stronger, stiffer guide rails to be used, reducing a point of failure, and enhancing the accuracy of the rifle.
– Proprietary recoil reducing compensator Designed to reduce recoil and helps to control muzzle climb in rapid firing.
– Hinged lower receiver opens like an AR for ease of cleaning and repair, whether at home or in the field.
– Ambidextrous charging handle accommodates both left and right-handed shooters and special circumstances created by specialty add-on equipment.
– Ambidextrous safety switch for both left and right-handed fire.
– Corrosion resistant components ensure functionality even under the harshest conditions, and preserve the value of the firearm.
– Mil Spec Type III anodized coating to protect the aluminum extruded outer components, flat black to avoid glare.
– The M10X™ maintains the distinctive silhouette as well as legendary reliability proven on our M10™ rifle, with a distinctively modern, extruded aluminum chassis.
Caliber: 7.62 x 39
Stock Length Collapsed: 36 4/16 inches
Stock Length Fully Extended: 40 1/16 inches
Width: 3 inches
Height W/O Magazine: 7 ¾ inches with sight down, 9 inches with sight up
Barrel Length: 16.5 inches
Weight: 8.5 lbs. +/- without magazine
Barrel Twist: 1/9.25 rifling
Barrel Thread: 14/1 Left hand
Trigger Pull: 4.2 lbs. +/-“
Company Contact Info:
© Copyright 2016 DefenseReview.com (DR). All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without receiving permission and providing proper credit and appropriate links. If you are reading this article anywhere other than DefenseReview.com, please email us the website address/URL (where the unauthorized DR article reprint is located) at defrev (at) gmail (dot) com. Thank you.
All embedded DefenseReview.com (DR) photos and videos were shot with an Apple iPhone 6s Plus smartphone still/video camera.
Falkor Defense Custom Blitz AR15 Ambi SBR Recessed-Suppressed Tactical AR-15 SBR/Carbine-Type 9mm SMG with Falkor Ambidextrous Lower Receiver, Optimus PDW Stock (Buttstock), Mach-15 Ambidextrous Charging Handle and Fatty M-LOK Modular Tactical Handguard/Rail System! (Video!)
Nous Defions/Arsenal Democracy Blackside Suppressed Glock 17/22 (G17/G22) Combat/Tactical Pistol Holster: Taco Shell-Design Kydex Holster is Tactical White Light/Laser-Aimer Module-Compatible! (Video!)
Nous Defions/Arsenal Democracy AD-16 (Billet Receivers) and AD-15 (Forged Receivers) 5.56mm NATO/300BLK Tactical AR-15 Rifle/Carbine/SBR’s with Ambi (Ambidextrous) Controls, KeyMod or M-LOK Modular Tactical Handguards/Rail Systems and Ballistic Advantage Barrels! (Video!)
LMT Defense MARS-L (Modular Ambidextrous Rifle System-Light) M7LB2/M7LB2T Ambi (Ambidextrous) Tactical AR-15 Lower Receiver Build with Leupold D-EVO (Dual-Enhanced View Optic) 6x20mm/LCO (Leupold Carbine Optic) 1X/1-MOA-Dot Combo Sighting System! (Video!)
LMT Defense LM8PDW556 / LM8PDW300 PDW (formerly the ‘Compressor’): 10.5-Inch-Barreled 5.56mm NATO/300BLK Tactical AR-15 SBR/PDW (Short Barreled Rifle/Personal Defense Weapon) with Modified/Shortened SOPMOD Stock (Buttstock) and Weighted Bolt Carrier Group (BCG)! (Video!)
Parabellum Armament (PA) Kalashnikov AK-47/AKM Tactical Carbine Weapons Accessories Adaptive Rail System (AKARS), Mechanical Advantage Release System (MARS) Magazine Release Lever and Ratchet Charging System (RCS) Left-Side Folding Charging Handle (Video!)
US PALM 45-Round and 30-Round Quad-Stack (4×2 config) 7.62x39mm Russian-Caliber Polymer AK Mags (Rifle Magazines) at SHOT Show 2012: The Kalashnikov AK-47/AKM Rifle Gets a Big Boost in Immediate Ammo Capacity/Tactical Firepower! (Video!)
US PALM Takedown/Breakdown AK (Kalashnikov AK-47/AKM Rifle/Carbine) with US PALM/Midwest Industries MI Rail Kit at SHOT Show 2012: Tactical, Practical and Backpackable AK for Military Special Operations and Civilian Tactical Shooters! (Video!)